Sunday, October 26, 2008

A bag of juniper shavings

Thursday night the family and I enjoyed an evening at the NC State Fair where everything is deep fried, even the roller coaster. Besides the culinary delights and gastric disturbances, one of my favorite things to do is tour the exhibits that illustrate/demonstrate things from the good ol' days. That means the antique farm machinery and the Village of Yesteryear. In the "Village" we get to see modern craftsman spinning pots, carving wood, weaving baskets, and the like.

This year I discovered a new exhibit in the Village. I met Phoebe Briley, currently living in Marshallberg, NC, of Great Marsh Boatworks. She's a self proclaimed dingbatter who has fallen in love with the REAL Down East of NC and it's traditions, especially its boats. I was naturally drawn to Phoebe and her display because I am a native of Harkers Island. I grew up in the backyard of my great-grandfather Stacy Guthrie. Both he and his father, Devine Guthrie, are as famous for boatbuilding as they are for their character. In the picture of Stacy (or Poppy as he was known to me), you can see the hammer that is so special to our family.

Growing up in Poppy's backyard was special in many ways. Some of my earliest memories are of sitting on his lap and hearing the whaling stories. I would often get up before my mom and join him in the yard as a preschooler while he built boats. The wonderful smell of juniper, the wood of choice for boatbuilders, and its shavings still fills my mind.

As I stopped by to introduce myself to Phoebe, I noticed a collection of juniper shavings she had on display. They were labeled with a sign that looked like it came out of Alice in Wonderland. It said, "Smell the Shavings." I pointed them out to my son. I picked up a handful and began talking about how wonderful they smelled and the memories they invoked. After he enjoyed a big whiff himself, Phoebe grabbed a small paper bag and began to fill it with shavings. She handed me the bag and said, "Here, enjoy." It was one of the most wonderful parts of the fair to me.

Meeting Phoebe was special for many reasons. Besides getting a bag of shavings, I met someone who appreciates my heritage and how it is disappearing. I had an opportunity to share some special memories. My son was shown how important his own family is in the history of his "homeland" by someone other than his father. It was a blessing all the way around. And now, I have a bag of juniper shavings to smell anytime I need to be reminded of that blessing.

No comments: