Sunday, October 05, 2008

Silent Ball Craze

Several years ago, a friend of mine who happened to be a middle school teacher told me about a game called silent ball. Basically, the kids throw a ball around the room. You are "out" if you make any noise or drop the ball. It's a great class (and behavior) management tool. He strongly testified to its effectiveness.

Well, now that I am a middle school teacher, I decided to use this game. When I was buying my classroom supplies, one of the things I purchased was a large foam ball for this very reason. I was shocked when school started and the kids began asking to play silent ball on day 1! Apparently, silent ball is a phenomenon known to every middle school student and teacher in the universe. It even has a wiki entry.

I can't help but liken this to Christianity. At least in part. All over the "civilized" world, people know about Jesus. At least we (and they) think they do. In reality, the only knowledge many people have of Jesus is the use of his name as an exclamation or even a swear. I'd wager the average church going Christian would be surprised how many American born and bred people do not know the basic facts of the traditional children's Christmas play with all the wise men, shepherds, angels, and a stable.

For that matter, many of us who call ourselves "Christian" know less about Jesus than we think. Much of what we know "to be true" about Jesus and following him have more to do with years of traditional interpretation and less about what the Bible actually says about him. Or what the Holy Spirit may even reveal to us. I even had a young Mormon missionary tell me one time that one of the things he liked about the South was that "everybody believed in Jesus". To which I quickly replied, "True, but I don't think we all believe the same thing."

Back to silent ball. Why is it that something as mundane as silent ball can be a universal given in the average middle school classroom but something as important as the knowledge of the person of Jesus Christ and what it means to follow him can be so widespread but shallow in depth? How is it that there can actually be people who don't know about him beyond the "that's what this group of people call the God force out there"?

I'm beginning to digress and my thoughts are becoming more dissociated with one another, putting forth a much less coherent article. So, I shall stop for the night and come back later when I am more organized. Until then, answer these questions for yourself. What do you know about Jesus? How will you make sure everybody does know about him?

No comments: