Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Deep Fried Fun

Yesterday my family and I were blessed through the benevolence of someone to enjoy the state fair. For reasons I do not completely understand, nor care to, this year's theme is "Seriously Twisted Fun". I think it involves corporate sponsorship with Subway and a few other marketing ploys. I think the theme should have been "Everything Deep Fried".

Everyone knows about funnel cakes and elephant ears, at least I'm assuming you do. For you international readers, these are basically pieces of dough, deep fat fried and then sprinkled with powdered sugar, cinnamon, fruit toppings, and or chocolate. Pardon my grammar as I speak in the language of the common man, but who don't want some of that? Funnel cake is some good eating though I myself have not had one in thirteen years. My last funnel cake experience was at a county fair and ended with a not so happy stomach. I stood in line for one yesterday and though I wanted one very badly, I found an excuse at the last moment to forego this culinary delight.

Some of you may have heard about how you can now buy deep fried candy bars. Everyone who buys one says they are wonderful, but honestly, are they really? This year saw the addition of the following items to the deep fried menu - Oreos, Twinkies, PB&J sandwiches, and even Coke. Yes folks, they are now deep frying Coke at the State fair. I was unable to get a demostration or sampling of this new phenomenon, so I have little to share with you other than its existence.

Now you know what I mean when I say the theme should be "Everything Deep Fried". I joked with some people in my church that next year we need to host a booth at the fair and sell something deep fried. I don't think it really matters what it is - people will buy it and eat it. Perhaps we can combine two other fair favorites and begin selling deep fried cotton candy and deep fried candy apples. Let's go all the way and deep fry those guys who try to guess your weight or age. Who wants a deep fried teddy bear for knocking over the milk bottles? How about a ride in the world's largest deep fryer?

Two questions come to mind as I ponder this deep frying craze. First, have you notice the conspicously absent word in that phrase "deep fried"? What's it deep fried in? Ten years ago we would have said "deep fat fried" but the health consciousness of society cannot tolerate that three letter word to be used anymore, despite what type of fat it may or may not be. Don't forget that KFC used to be "Kentucky Fried Chicken" not too long ago. Did they think we would forget it was fried if we didn't say it?

My second thought is actually more relevant to the purpose of this post. (and you thought there wasn't one!) Again I ask, is it really that good? I've never tasted one, but can a deep FAT fried Snickers bar be an improvement on the original or have we bought into the group consciousness and/or peer pressure and said, "Omigosh! This is so awesome. You have to try this." while simultaneously ignoring our other consciousness that says "deep FAT frying is bad"?

Now for the spiritual application (drumroll please) - How often do we see similar situations played out in the church? How many times do we go with the flow despite how wrong it may be or counterproductive it might be, but we continue course because the group consciousness says it's ok? Or how about those times when we refuse to go along with the group consciousness but we should be? How do you tell the difference in those situations? How often do we practice state fair theology that says its okay to go against what we believe is right in normal circumstances because we only do so once a year?

I could give you lots of answers but no one wants to spend 45 minutes reading anybody's blog, at least not mine. However, I bet you have some good answers that others might want to read. What are they? I'll be anxiously awaiting them while taking some more Tums and refilling the fryer.

No comments: