Sunday, October 19, 2008

Virtual Marlboro Man

The latest craze in our house is our most recent video game purchase. We purchased Cabela's Dangerous Hunts by Activision. It's part of a larger series of games where you can become a virutal hunter. It's really pretty cool. You get the chance to stalk some serious hunting trophies while at the same time face the dangers of the wild such as the elements and wild animals. Hence the name Dangerous Hunts. The first few tries I spent most of my time drowning in raging rivers, being mauled by grizzly bears, and being attacked by wolves. I eventually got the hang of how to aim my weapon and kill my attackers.

Soon the boys and I were able to achieve a pretty reasonable level of success at some fairly difficult tasks. As I guided my virtual hunter through the snowy wilderness of Colorado, my confidence in my ability to do this for real was bolstered. Yesterday, deer season opened for real here in NC. My oldest son and I joined the thousands of other hunters who went out on opening day, hoping to bring home a trophy buck. Just on the trail we selected, we passed two other hunters.

We found signs of all types of deer activity. We had scouted this area and knew they were be out there. We found a good spot and sat and waited. At the end of the day, we came home empty handed. Apparently, real deer don't have glowing red dots on them that indicate their location, even miles away. Apparently, the size of their territory is not limited in such a way that they have to run in some sort of circuit that guarantees they will come back around to you. Apparently, being a real Marlboro Man is not as easy as being a Virtual Marlboro Man.

Sometimes we try to live out our spiritual lives on virtual faith journeys instead of the real thing. We say the right things, know the right answers to all the key questions, attend all the right public events, even give money to all the right causes and funds. BUT . . . what are our lives really like? What type of heart change is evident? What is it about our character that tells people we are on a journey following Christ?

Just a thought.

No comments: