Monday, May 19, 2008

Shapely Hamburgers - part deux

A couple of weeks ago, I shared the strange phenomenon of placing circular hamburger patties on the grill and coming back to find oval shaped patties. Following up on the suggestion of a friend, I tried cooking an oval shaped burger to see what would happen. After analyzing and eating the results, I am now ready to present my findings. On April 30, I placed 5 circular burgers and one oval burger on the grill. When the cooking was complete, I had 5 circular burgers and 1 oval burger.


I must admit, I was surprised that the circular burgers did not convert to the previously elliptical result. These results are basically meaningless in explaining the phenomenon of circle to oval conversion. Well, maybe not meaningless. But they do require more tests to prove any theories. I suspect that temperature is the culprit. The grill was probably not as a hot the second time around.


This experiment mirrors what happens in the real world all the time. We see some result that we like and we want to get the same thing. We fail to duplicate ALL the conditions. We only do the parts we see or like. We might try to be like Jared and eat nothing but Subway in order to lose weight. But if we eat all our sandwiches loaded with high carb dressings, etc. and we always eat a footlong sub, and we fail to exercise, chances are we will gain the weight that Jared lost instead of losing. We would have to duplicate every aspect of what Jared did in order to get Jared's results.


We make these same mistakes on our faith journeys all the time. We spend our lives copying the actions of others without knowing whether we are copying all of the them or even the right ones. We do not analyze our own situations. We do it under our own advisement. We might (usually) try it without the power of the Holy Spirit, which is usually the main ingredient anyway. Does any of this sound like something that has happened in your life?


For years, I have been trying to get a certain kind of results in an environment where it probably won't happen. It's been an interesting three months for me as some of this has come to head. Following what I am confident is a divine leading, I have decided to document the current stage of my faith journey online. I have created a blog where I hope to daily journal on the happenings and thoughts of my life in these regards. I invite you to watch and even participate in my faith journey at The Year of Living Faithfully.

No comments: