Friday, April 25, 2008

The funny shape of things

Last night I fell asleep thinking about science fiction, post modernity, and how people on a Christian faith journey should relate to these. I woke continuing that stream of consciousness. I really want to post some of those thoughts soon, but this morning another question begs to be answered. Why do my hamburger patties , which start out as nice perfect circles, take on an oval shape after they are cooked? This is a phenomenon I noticed a few weeks back. After grilling about twenty burgers for a cookout last night, this geometric and backyard culinary oddity snagged my attention again.

Applying the scientific method, I came up with several hypotheses. 1) It's the particular brand of pre-made patties. Perhaps they contain some sort of weird-you-don't-really-want-to-know ingredient that automatically conforms it to an oval when heated. 2) Maybe it's because I had the heat too high, causing rapid and uneven contraction, thus resulting in an oval. 3) Maybe the burgers have a mind of their own and they thought they were being prepared for a tailgating party. Assuming a football shape seemed appropriate. 4) Possibly, in conjunction with #1, there is a conspiracy and marketing relationship with the manufacturers of oval shaped buns. Once I realize that the burgers will always be this shape, I will begin searching for buns of a similar shape. 5) Again in conjunction with #1, these burgers are intentionally designed to assume this shape so that when placed on a round bun, there is a little extra place to accomodate condiment run-off. This assumes another possible partnership with the condiment industry. 6) If I try hard enough, I can probably blame the current adiministration, the opponents of the current administration, or even aliens.

Honestly, I don't know which of these thoughts is the most likely to be correct. I'm sure there are several more plausible explanations that I have not thought of yet. Humans have gone through this process for all of history. We have sought explanation and understanding for everything we experience. Mythologies are created, things considered scientific fact are established, and years later, we come into other data that debunks earlier myths and science.

I think the same thing happens in our faith journeys, at least in how we organize them socially and politically. The faith journey of Moses and its practices look strange next to Martin Luther's reformation or John Wesley's class meetings. Put the way we do church today alongside any other period of history and you get the same results. Even today, I am continually having conversations with people about whether the shape of church today even works anymore. Why does church look the way it does? What is the right way to practice our faith, individually and with others? Is there a better shape?

Maybe burgers don't have to be round. Maybe some other things can be different too.

No comments: