Monday, May 19, 2008

First Impressions

Now that season 16 of Survivor has ended and American Idol finishes this year's run this week, I've been worried about my wife and I will do together. Tonight we may have found our answer - The Bachelorette. I always find it amazing how this matchmaking shows work. I cannot understand how anyone can go on one of these shows in order to find true love.

It's interesting and embarassing to watch when it's so many men vying for the attention of one woman. Tonight, 25 men were competing for 15 spots. And oh my, the testosterone filled antics they tried to get DeAnna's attention during this one evening. I cannot believe that some guys really think women dig some of the stuff they tried.

As we were watching tonight's episode, my wife asked me a question I could not answer immediately. She asked me what I would have done in that situation to get her attention. We've been married so long and The Bachelorette is so not like anything either of us would have done that I cannot fathom being on that show. I did eventually give her an answer and it did not involve showing off my abs, running about in a Speedo with her name stitched on it, or any of the other ridiculous antics witnessed tonight.

Pondering this question caused me to immediately think, "This would be a great blog post." How would I make a great first impression on God? Luckily, I don't have to make good first impressions. He knows I've got lots of problems and he loves me already anyway. The only thing he wants is an honest, genuine, sincere, devoted relationship with him. That's a lot easier than trying to earn roses, I can tell you. Unfortunately, we tend to treat our relationship with God more like being on The Bachelorette, trying to earn his favor.

No comments: