Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Peanut Butter, the Super Bowl, and other important thoughts concerning our faith

I know I'm a couple of days late, but the New England Patriots dream of a perfect season capped with a Super Bowl win was shattered. I honestly thought they would pull it off. Of course, a record of 18-1 is nothing to throw sticks at. Unless the one loss is the big one. I bet if the Patriots could trade one of the regular season wins for a win this past Sunday, they'd take it. I'd take it. Who wants to win all those games and lose the championship?

I've been indulging on peanut butter again. After the big salmonella scare last year, Peter Pan peanut butter returned to the shelves a few months back. I had eaten virtually no peanut butter during my favorite brand's absence from the shelves. The regular stuff returned back in August, but I prefer the taste of the reduced fat stuff. That has finally returned. I have resumed my daily indulgence of spoonfuls of the wonderfully delicious stuff since my wife brought home a jar of Peter Pan reduced fat creamy. However, as good as that is, I cannot wait for the crunchy version to come out. Then I will be as close to heaven as I can get while here on earth.

Both of these thoughts are extremely relevant to our faith journeys. Specifically they have to do with the return of Jesus. That's right. In case you didn't know it, Jesus is coming back. He did not remain dead after he was crucified. He was raised to life by the power of the Holy Spirit on the Sunday morning after his death on Friday afternoon. A little more than a month and half later, he ascended back to heaven with the promise he would return to earth one day to get all his followers.

What's the Super Bowl and Peter Pan reduced fat crunchy peanut butter got to do with that? I'm glad you asked. Why would I want to live a perfect life, only to mess it up at the very end and miss my chance to go to heaven when Jesus returns. The Apostle Paul urged his readers to run the race so it could be won and they could receive the crown of eternal life. The Patriots were a great team this year. But they won't be remembered for winning it all. They'll be remembered for losing the big one when it counted.

And what about my peanut butter? I am waiting anxiously and excitedly for the return of my favorite brand. I know it will return if I'm patient. This other stuff is pretty good so far, but I want the whole package. I anxiously await the return of Jesus. I can't wait. Things are good right now, but they will be so much better when he returns. Why even be on a faith journey if it's not about waiting for his return?

Just a thought, a creamy, peanut buttery thought. Ummmmm.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Matt,
The Super Bowl reminds me of finishing strong. I was rooting for the Giants...who caught the winning fever during the play offs. However, I don't think they were eating peanut butter during the Super Bowl...I can't speak for the other team.

Living with the end in mind seems to pull out resourses we didn't know were there. I think of Christ in me...the Hope of Glory...the winning edge for the winning team.

Both teams played well...it was a game that demonstrated championship on both sides. I thank God, that through Christ...we are all winners!

Keep a lid on your peanut butter jar! Your friend Al.