Monday, January 28, 2008

Things I Never Tire Of

Snowflakes and mittens, warm cozy kittens . . . Oops, I'm sorry. Those are a few of my favorite things. Last week I made mention of how I never tire of reading the Bible. I asked readers to comment on those things they never tire of. No one commented. Maybe I seemed holier than thou by my statement on reading the Bible. I hope not. It's nothing I'm ashamed of saying. Several times last week as I was doing some pretty intense study I was reminded of how much I enjoy studying the Bible. I had lunch today with a friend whose job duties have taken him out of the pulpit and he commented on how much he missed the opportunity to do that kind of study each week.

Well, I promised to give my thoughts on why I enjoy reading the Bible so much. So here they are. WARNING: some may be tongue in cheek so withhold any harsh judgments on that basis.

1) I'm a pastor - I have to enjoy it
2) I'm a pastor, so I have learned to enjoy it
3) I'm a pastor, so I have developed the skills that help me enjoy it.
4) As a Christian, I had to read it so it grew on me
5) It's actually good stuff. You have violence, daring heroics, supernatural happenings, romance, and enough soap opera type material to fill a full season of The Jerry Springer Show (seriously!).
6) It really is applicable to my everyday life. Really, it is.

There is an element of truth in every reason above. The average person reading this may not think that all of these reasons would fit their lives. I'd argue that they would. Everyone can learn to enjoy it. Everyone can learn the "skills". If you read it, it will eventually grow on you. Coincidentally, after posting last week, I had a conversation that very same day with someone who made mention they don't enjoy the reading part all that much. Ideally they would like to, but they do not believe they will ever come to the same point as I. We'll see if that remains true. That person is actually putting in considerable effort.

There's nothing particularly insightful about this post. But it some serious thoughts about our faith journeys. Somewhere on our journeys, reading the Bible has to become part of it. No one has to become a Ph.D quality Bible scholar overnight. Any growth is growth. Give it a shot. I think you will find you also will never tire of it.

"These are a few of my favorite things"

No comments: