Tuesday, February 19, 2008

It's what I've always dreamed about . . .

. . . .says about half of the people under the age of 21 who happen to be contestants on one of the star making reality tv shows (American Idol, America's Next Top Model, Girlicious, etc.). After hearing every single one of these people say this, the cynic in me had to say, "Is it really?" and "You've only been dreaming and thinking a handful of years. Is it really that major, yet?" Is it possible to be 18 and say that phrase with any real meaning?

Just to confirm that I know what you are thinking, let me see if I can read your mind. You think I'm a harsh, bitter person who has no compassion whatsoever and all I do is see how I can stomp on the ambitions and dreams of others. But I'm really not. You should be ashamed of yourself for accusing me of such things (smile!). Just because the cynical side of me may want to think those things doesn't mean I believe them. I think that when an 18 year old person says, "This is what I have always dreamed about" that it is probably true. Chances are he or she has been watching whatever show they happen to be on since season 1. It's all they've ever known. Who among us never wanted to be someone famous?

I think it's wonderful they actually get a chance to pursue such a dream. Take American Idol for instance. For those four contestants that will not get enough votes to continue this week, they can say what few others can say. "I sang on national tv. I was a contestant on American Idol. I got to meet Simon Cowell and Ryan Seacrest." Ok, not everything about the experience is all that great, but you get my point.

As we get older, our dreams often change. Sometimes they don't change but we modify them to fit our situation. Some folks might call it settling for something else. Others might call it seizing the opportunity in front of you. We eventually begin approaching and passing the dreaded midlife crisis. Then we begin to say, "Did my life amount to anything?"

I was reflecting on the dreams I had when I was 18 to 24 years old. I don't remember necessarily having any other than being rich without any plan on how to get there. Now that I have a family, my dreams are less about making my mark on the world and more about making my mark on my boys. I'm also more concerned about leaving an impression on the people within my immediate sphere of influence instead of everybody on the sphere we call earth.

What do we dream about when it comes to our faith? I've written about goals for our faith journeys before. Dreams are different than goals, at least I think so. Goals are things we can usually accomplish, even if they require help from others. Dreams have that loftier, more visionary and impossible feel to them. What are your spiritual dreams? If you faith journey could look like anything, what would it look like? How about sharing it with me - I'd really like to know.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would love to be at a point where wisdom and discernment are drawn completely from the Lord. That I am in such a close relationship with Him that I know every step to take, when to take it, and how to take it. I would love to hunger and thirst for more of God's Presence in my life, in my family's, and in my church family's. I would love to daily have the time to just sit and wait on the Lord, to be part of a church that does that every time they meet, just wait on the Lord. I would love to look back at certain points on my life where God has brought me to and from and be able to see the fruits of my labor and know that I did all I could do in those situations and with the people in those situations, completely through Him. I would like to one day have my time of fame when God presents me with many crowns, so that in turn I can cast them back on Him for who He is, and for what He has done. And be able to say my day has come and look around and see all of those who God used me to reach also having their day receiving their crowns from the "famous one".

tonymyles said...

What's interesting is that for every contestant who gets their dream shot there are thousands and thousands who don't.

Then those people go home and watch contestant #402 who was in front of them make it into the final 10 while they sit and wonder, "Is it because I chose to sing a Prince song that I'm not on there right now?"

And they play that regret over and over and over in their heads until they're seventy.

Again - thousands and thousands of those folks create a very cynical country... which feeds into the church... which feeds into our faith.

Anonymous said...

Had a dream that I was called to the ministry. Over the years, I lost my grip on that one...and tried to settle. Some careers are interesting, but there is nothing like living out your dream.

I am at a point in life where I value stuff (material/non-material) more. There are hard realities to the dreams lived out. Dreams have a perpetual cost in becoming a reality. My prayer is that I finish strong and live this way until I die.

Nightmares are the dark side of dreams. So quickly something pleasant can turn against us. So I pray...and ask God...to keep the nightmares at bay...or at least to find a dream within them. I believe that a life sold out to God will come out strong...despite reversals. If dreams are about making reality beautiful...I believe that God dreams...and I want to be like Him.