Thursday, July 03, 2008

Microwave Thoughts

We recently bought a gently and seldom used microwave to replace the one we had. Our old microwave just wasn't performing well. It cooked unevenly, if it cooked at all. You never knew what kind of noise it was going to make. Sometimes it would come on all by itself. Fearing for our safety, we consulted Craig's List to find a new one.

Because it's used, we don't have a manual. I need to search for one on the internet. One button has me really intrigued. As a male, I'm excited to see it in action. The caption on the button reads, "Inverter Turbo Defrost". I'm not exactly sure what type of high octane engine powers this function, but I can't wait to see it in action. It has to be WAY better than regular old defrost like on our old microwave.

This new microwave is a lot more powerful. Popcorn used to take forever and then a lot of kernels remained unpopped. This baby will pop a bag in less than two minutes and you can count on one hand the number of unpopped kernels. In fact, several times there were NO unpopped kernels. Which leads me to a second question - how do you get the smell of burnt popcorn out of the microwave? We left it open on the front porch overnight. That was a week ago. When we use it now, there is still the faint odor of Orville Redenbacher transforming into charcoal briquets. I would seriously like any suggestions on that one.

I don't like everything about this new microwave. Take the door. Our old microwave had a button you pushed to open the door. You have to manually open this one. Which isn't a big deal, but it doesn't openly easily. The kids have a hard time opening it. By the time I get it open sometimes, it has been dragged six feet across the counter.

The clock is hard to read on this one as well. Our old display was so much brighter, clearer, and easier to read. Certainly the engineers had enough wiggle room in their budget to put a nicer display on the unit.

Despite these two shortcomings, I really like the new microwave. My goal in life is to be as content with the rest of my life as I am with the microwave. It's so easy to find fault with everything and everyone around you. Even clouds with silver linings cast shadows. It all depends on what you choose to see, what you choose to emphasize.

Contentment can be very elusive when it comes to money. We live in a very materialistic society. And just because the bug of materialism may not have bitten you does not mean you necessarily live a life of contentment. Paul tells young Timothy that "godliness with contentment is great gain". That statement has caused me to wonder which comes first - the godliness or the contentment.

Contentment is easier for some than others. In God's infinite wisdom, he allows some of us (me) to struggle with it more than others. But I'm trying. And to think that a microwave is leading me there.

2 comments:

Pastor Al said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Pastor Al said...

MORE MICROWAVE STORIES

Our last microwave came with the house...as with most of the basic applicances. After five years, it decided to keep running without heating the food. The light came on. The normal 'microwave sound' came on. The buzzer let us know the food was ready. It did everything...but heat the food!

Its amazing how new that microwave looks; not a scratch on it! How can something look so nice...and not work?

I have always been a microwave chef. Leftovers are amazingly good when microwaved. The device helps me to survive for days...until the leftovers run out.

However, life stops without the microwave. I never turn on the stove...I am a micro-man. I don't care if the light goes on, and the micro-sound sounds off, and the buzzer provides that false alarm. Its the warm food that I am after!

Maybe my personal faith walk is like that. People don't care what I look and sound like...what I do with my faith matters. Otherwise, nothing else matters.