Sunday, June 29, 2008

Family Size

An unusual thought crept into my mind early this morning (as if I have any other kind of thoughts). Growing up, I only knew two kids who were only children. One girl's parents had divorced when she was very young. She and her mom lived with her grandmother until we were in high school. The other girl was simply an only child, at least as far as the knowledge we had. That girl was always a little strange and thinking back, I probably assumed it was because of her only child status.

I can recall that this only child phenomenon was an unusual one to me. I am the oldest of five children, four surviving. It has never occurred to me to ponder what life would have been like if I had been an only child. My siblings have probably wondered whether their life would have been better in my nonexistence. Being an only child just always seemed to be an oddity to me. I had several friends who were sort of only children because they had older siblings that were much older than they. But they had siblings so they were not complete oddities.

In the days when our country was mostly rural, couples had lots of children because the farm needed workers and Mr. and Mrs. Jones were going to need someone to take care of them when they were older. I don't know what the motivation to have larger families (i.e. four or more children) was in more recent times. I know that today, most couples have two children, many times for the simple reason that the children will have playmates built into the family, freeing up the parents attention. As ludicrous as it sounds, examine your own thoughts about that . . .

Personally, my wife and I would love to have three or four children. . . ideally that is. For lots of reasons we've stopped at two. But just as I could not imagine life as an only child growing up, I cannot imagine life with only one child. That's not a judgment, it's just a statement on how I'm wired.

As a person of faith who is concerned about other people knowing about the God I serve, I cannot fathom being an only child of faith either. I don't want to serve this God alone - I want to do it in a faith community with others on the same faith journey. I'm not content with keeping my family size in its current state. I want to bring other people into this family also, people who are not yet part of a faith journey. It's one of those important things Jesus told us to do when he ascended back into heaven. It's also one of those things that we will naturally want to do aif we don't overthink it.

How big is your family?

No comments: