Monday, March 03, 2008

Sacrifice

This past weekend was a fun one for the boys and me. We spent Friday and Saturday night on the USS Yorktown at Patriots Point in the Charleston Harbor of SC. It was part of an outing we took with their Cub Scout Pack. It was very, very cool. In addition to touring the Yorktown, we took tours of a submarine (USS Clamagore), a "tin can" destroyer (USS Laffey), a Coast Guard cutter (USCG Ingham), a replica of a naval support base during the Vietnam War, and Ft. Sumter. It was a lot to take in and we by no means got everything out of it that we could. The programming was supplemented by a showing of Tora! Tora! Tora! on Friday night.

One thing that really hit home with me (and I tried to convey to the boys) was the level of sacrifice that was given during WWII. We read about destroyers who steamed full speed ahead at the Japanese fleet, even though they were out of torpedos and other deadly ammo. They gave their ships and their lives for the rest of the fleet in order to give their comrades on other ships a fighting chance. We read about the forty plus submarines that were sunk in battle, taking all their crew down with them.

The sacrifice did not only happen on the warfront, although that is justifiably the most significant. We heard about how total annual plane production (civilian and military) went from 2100 in 1939 to over 100,000 in 1942 once we entered the war with Japan. After the original Yorktown was sunk at the Battle of Midway in 1942, it's replacement was built and commissioned in only six months. These kind of production marvels were only possible because of the material rationing and willingness of the American worker, male and female, to work long hard hours.

As I contemplated all these things on the ride home, I wondered what I would be willing to sacrifice for my country. Not just the esoteric, vague concept of "country", but the realization that my sacrifice was really for the millions of men, women, and children who live in my country. The sacrifice would be for millions of people who may not agree with many of the important ideals and views that I hold. My political leaders, perhaps even my commander in chief, may be members of that group with whom I disagree. I'm not sure if any of the men and women who gave sacrificially during these times ever thought about it in these terms or not. It may be best that they did not - it could certainly have been a cause to rethink one's actions.

I also could not help but frame these thoughts within the idea of my faith journey. What am I willing to sacrifice for my relationship with God? What am I willing to sacrifice for the sake of the faith journeys of others? I don't have any answers to those questions yet, and again, it might be for the best. It's probably best to go through life making sacrifices without counting the cost. The Gospel writer Luke might disagree with that notion. I'm still processing what it means for me. I'm also curious what it means to you. Anyone care to share?

Just a thought. I'm sure I'll have more soon.

No comments: