Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Interesting Quote

I was in the grocery store picking up a gallon milk tonight when I came across an interesting quote. There, on the wall above the refrigerated dairy section, specifically the cheese section, was a quote from one of the last century's most influential writers, G.K. Chesterton. To quote the wikipedia article, his diverse output included "journalism, philosophy, poetry, biography, Christian apologetics, fantasy, and detective fiction." Among the many great things he is credited with saying, perhaps this is his most memorable. There in the cheese section, I came across these words:
The poet have been mysteriously quiet on the subject of cheese.

Thank you Mr. Chesterton for these provoking words and thank you Lowes Food for reminding us of his greatness.

2 comments:

James Spaugh said...

It is interesting that you post this on the day that the cheeseheads QB retired.

Anonymous said...

Matt,

Cheesy came across my mind as I read your post. As far as the quote, I think he may have been stating that 'cheese' was so mundane that it wasn't worth talking about.
But since you are a good friend, I will state that cheese is an important topic when I buy a hamburger; cheese and hamburger are one word in my vocabulary. Since I have lived in the South, 'All the way' works good, too.
This whole conversation is making me hungry, which is a redeeming factor. Although redemption is a bit of a stretch, depending on how you slice it.
Always remember, that good friends stick together. That thought ain't cheesy! If want to continue this conversation...it will cost you a 'cheeseburger.'
Anonymously Al