Monday, January 21, 2008

O Brother, Where Art Thou?

Some of you may have been wondering where I've been, although that's highly unlikely. It's been three weeks since I last posted. I haven't been on vacation that long, although that would be nice. I've just been busy doing other things like teaching my boys how to skin and gut a squirrel, doing some offline writing for a change, trying to earn all 99 gold bricks on Lego Star Wars II, and just thinking about important things like purpose. I've been pondering the state of the church today and how to make it most effective at fulfilling its purpose. I've been thinking about my own purpose in life as a husband and father, and as a pastor.

I also been thinking about the Bible. The title of this post has double meaning. It asks the question that only my mother cares about. It's also the title of the George Clooney film released in December 2000. I love that movie and everything about it. The soundtrack is great and has some wonderful bluegrass music. I love how it is the most creative interpretation of Homer's Odyssey I have ever encountered. This is a great contemporary representation that stays true to the original story. I think that speaks volumes about the timelessness of the themes in the original epic.

The Bible is like that. Many people in my church are trying to read through the entire Bible this year. Some have shared with me how much better they understand its parts as they read it as a whole. Others have shared how amazing it is that stories and sermons written two to four thousand years ago can be so applicable to today's life.

During my fight with insomnia last night, I began to think about how I never tire of reading the same stuff in the Bible. Right now I'm studying a couple of different books in the Bible that I have pretty thoroughly studied several times before. I am amazed that I am seeing new things this time around. I am also struck by the fact that I never get bored with reading these same stories over and over again. I can probably count on one hand (maybe two hands) the number of other books besides the Bible for which I feel the same way.

I've got some thoughts as to why that paragraph is true. I promise I won't wait three weeks to post them. Before I do, I'd like to hear from you what things you never tire of and why. I'd like to hear why you think the Bible's that way for me.

And just in case you are wondering, I have 60 of the gold bricks. If I'm unable to sleep tonight, I'm going to turn on the PS2 and earn another one!

No comments: