Saturday, August 18, 2007

Hell Revisited

Well, let's hope you aren't really revisiting hell, or have even visited hell the first time. One would think that after going there once you would not choose to go back. In the spirit of my previous post relating to dialog, I feel the need to clarify my thoughts about hell and its place in our journeys. I encourage you to check out the comments here and here before reading any further (or is farther? maybe someone will dialog and help me get it straight which it is).

Hell is something to be avoided, that's for sure. I do not think it is something to avoided in talking about out faith journeys. In Losing or Winning, I reference the rewards of entering into a faith journey. It must also be understood that these rewards are not options. It is not a case of "I don't really want a glorified body and all that. Is there a cheaper package I can get?" There really are only two options - ALL or NOTHING, Heaven or hell.

The second option has to come into play at some point. In What exactly is a faith journey, I reference the fact that sin has us on a path that takes us away from God. What I do not say in that post is where exactly it takes us. Some readers will immediately recognize this and be quick to point it out as a shortcoming. Maybe so. But, I think the discerning reader and the person whom the Holy Spirit may be working with will be able to fill in that blank. It's an obvious question that most will ask, whether aloud or internally.

Timing is everything. For some people, they will understand and respond to the hell option much more quickly and receptively than others. Other people will need to hear about the heaven option first before they can understand the hell option. My issue with the "avoidance of hell" methodology is that is all some ever talk about. It is many times presented as the "You can passively choose hell by not choosing God. Don't worry about the joyful things that come from choosing God. Let's just get you out of the fire."

Just a thought.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Matt:

I read your "Revisisted" post and I was impressed by the fact that you let some of that Holiness doctrine out and just told like it is. I salute you.

ALL or NOTHING - AMEN!! This is not a bad message it is merely not what people want to hear. I know that. You must take the bad with the good if you wish to be a Christian (the early saints faced death for thier faith).

I must, however, state for the record that I have never liked that term a faith journey because it is too vague even though you have spent alot of time explaining it. I like the term Christian walk because it refers directly to trying to stay in the path of Jesus.

I am a discerning reader because I have replied in a thoughtful manner (not in agreement). Becoming a Christian to avoid Hell is not the main issue anyway? It is living a life that represents Godly attributes. You know Holiness (now I have really done it). Just a thought.

Hey - Luke and Lindsay did you get my point????