Monday, August 06, 2007

Feeling the Heat

This week promises to be a scorcher. Temps are forecasted to break 100 in my neck of the woods. All last week they hovered around the triple digit mark. We've been carefully planning our daily activities to avoid the heat of the day whenever possible. Overall the summer hasn't been that bad. I've seen a lot worse. The humidity rose substantially a few weeks ago, but again, this has been a pretty cool summer, no pun intended.

All this heat reminded me of a saying I heard a while back. "It's hot, but Hell's hotter. Don't go there." It was said in jest and yet it was also obvious to anyone listening that the person saying this was giving a half-hearted suggestion to whomever might be listening that eternal damnation in the lake of fire was something to be avoided. I believe this person spoke with all sincerity in his concern for someone's soul. Many of us have been exposed to the sincere efforts of someone (whether a "professionsal" evangelist or just a friend) to scare us into Heaven.

I believe in a literal Hell that fits all the descriptions you would expect a preacher to believe in. However, I'm not sure how effective or even appropriate such an approach is to helping someone see the need to be on a faith journey. There is a time and place where the reality of Hell needs to be discussed. I just don't believe it's at the beginning of the journey.

Lots of people interpret such tactics as intimidation. I've heard countless stories from people very dear to me who feel bitter resentment at such an approach being used on them. They sincerely believed all that was being said to them but something in the approach and forcefulness of the speaker left a bitter taste in their mouths that caused them to turn back later. Some people have galvanized their resistance to Christianity because of it.

Some of the people reading this aren't going to like it. I'm going to be accused of watering down the Gospel. My faith is going to be questioned. That's ok. If you visit here frequently and read the comments of others, you'll know I get hit from both sides of the fence. So for those of you who disagree, be kind and comment appropriately. For all of you, I'd like to hear about your experiences with someone trying to tell you about the need for a faith journey. Was it positive or negative and why? If you said "Yes", why? If you said "No", why? I'll be here looking for a cool spot while I wait.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

All I can say is in the words of the late and Great former President Ronald Reagan:

"There he goes again...."

I am sorry you feel that way Matt, but I expected this type of viewpoint. These "wishy-washy" Christians (not you) that sit in our churches today do not like to hear that you are a sinner and if you do not repent, then you are going to hell!?!? This may not be a popular message, but it is the one that Jesus preached on and His message inspired Paul, John, Billy, Jerry and Pat to preach on it as well. It might be worth noting that without hell you cannot fully appreciate salvation. True Chrstians are after all saved from hell. The journey must not only start here, but we need to be reminded of hell form time to time in order that we may be better prepared. I think your comments are geared at not offending people who need to not only hear this message, but heed the warning. Case in point, how do you feel on those members of a church (yours perhaps) who think it is okay to be a member, but still drink "wine coolers" or engage in unethical business practices or perhaps "cheat" on their spouse!?!
If Christians do not get the brim stone, then they cannot appreciate and maintain their own salvation. I am not running your ministry down, but I firmly disagree with this "watering down effect" of the total Christian message. Going to hell should offend those unsaved more than the message itself. The early Christians in many cases were killed for their beliefs. Do you think that they were put off by the mention of hell? Just a thought.

Luke and Lindsay said...

Is there such a thing as a wish-washy christian? If you're wish-washy, then you might not have embarked on your faith journey, yet.

I think Anonymous has just missed the point.

Anonymous said...

To Luke and Lindsay:

There are wishy-washy Christians. This is a term that is equated to those Christians who are in a holiness church and still think that they make call themselves Christians and still have lifestyles issues. They do not repent of this sin, they merely think that going to church will wash it away. In fact, you go to church with these folks right now. How is that for a point??

In fact, if you are going to reply that I missed the point, then why do you do a hit and run reply. Why don't get that book the Bible and out and give me some quotes that do not sound like you sucking up to the author of this blog.

Just a thought!

Luke and Lindsay said...

What can I say? I'm very short-winded. Oh! Gotta go!