Monday, January 01, 2007

The Year of . . .

I hereby declare 2006 the year of change. I know, I'm about 365 days behind. But it is so much easier to look back and see what happened instead of trying to guess at what might happen in the future.

Looking back on 2006, our family went through several changes, most of them related to one particular circumstance. We moved to a new city, a new house, a new church, and a new job. The kids even got two new schools - we decided to homeschool right before Christmas. We initiated other changes that will hopefully make our family life together much more fun, loving, enjoyable, and even productive.

All of us changed in some way. The boys lost some teeth and got new ones. They're a little bit taller, a little bit more mature, and a lot smarter. I'm a little bit heavier, despite my goal to run a marathon. I'm hopefully a little bit wiser. I even love life a little more.

The old cliche says that the only thing that is constant is change. Every year is the year of change. Not all changes are welcome ones, but everyone changes in some way every year. Those people who do not change are usually the least alive. They are usually the least amount of fun to be around. The ones who absolutely refuse to allow room for any change are even less fun. And I think it's because their spirit is slowly dying.

My faith journey changed. I still serve the same God. I still have the same type of commitment to spiritual living. I'm still heading in the same direction. Everything is the same, but I'm closer to my final desitination. Even though I may not feel any different, I'd bet I'm somehow stronger spiritually. Change will do that for you.

Change can send you the other way. Change can cause you to change direction in your faith journey. You will be closer to the end of your time, but you may actually father away from your desired end. Some event can happen to cause you to abandon your faith journey. Those aren't good changes.

So what'll you do? If change is indeed inevitable, let's be prepared for it and make it good changes. Instead of complaining about the lemons, make lemonade. It's your choice. You know, I think I'll choose to make 2007 the year of change also. I can't lose - it's a sure bet. Just a Thought.

No comments: