Monday, January 08, 2007

To Do lists

Today is officially my first day back in the office since the holidays. No, I did not go on vacation last week. I was out of town on a business trip. So, as I sit, here looking at everything to do around me, the "to do" list is getting pretty long. To top it all off, I received an email from a friend this morning telling me that today is National Clean Out Your Desk Day. I wonder if she is trying to tell me something? And that was after my wife asked me if she could start a new honey-do list for me.

When I examine my own list of things to do, I am amazed at how many of them are piddly little maintenance tasks. Yet, if I don't do them, a lot of important work isn't going to get done. I need to order toner for the copier. I need to order a new bulb for our LCD projector. I need to order some materials for several of our small groups. And yes, it's time for that bi-weekly desk and office clean up so I can find what I need when I need it.

At some point today I need to prepare for a board meeting. At some point today, I need to study and prepare a sermon, a Sunday School lesson, as well as do my own personal study PLUS prepare for a small group. Then there is the important need to sit and plan the schedule of all these areas for the next few months. Oh yeah, did I mention coordinate the Super Bowl party? Then there are the several meetings or visits that are scheduled for this week.

Lest you think I'm complaining, I'm not! I know that everyone experiences just as hectic a lifestyle. Nor is this a post about the tyranny of the urgent, time management, giving priority to what is important in your life, etc. This is actually a post about how important it is to have toner in the copier, a bulb that works in your projector, a clean desk and office, and a bunch of other things that don't seem to add value to our lives but are yet "necessary evils" to be dealt with.

Life for most people is pretty ordinary. Contrary to Andy Warhol, I don't think everyone gets 15 minutes of fame. Most of us go about our regular lives, dealing with toner, bulbs, and general straightening tasks. These aren't the things that get us excited. They don't fuel our passions. We don't come home in the evening excited about that new package that arrived from the copier supplier. Yet without any of these, we would not be able to do the really cool things.

A lot of times we want our faith journeys to only be about the really fun things. We want our journeys to be filled with excitement and passion. Despite the appeal of these times, we have to do some of the piddly things for our faith journeys too. Praying when we feel like we have nothing to say to God. Reading and studying that passage in the Bible we've read a gazillion times already. Showing up at the local rescue mission or food bank to sort donated items. Waking up and accepting that nothing miraculous on the calendar for the day and our only task is to walk forward in the journey.

The good news is the toner has already been ordered. Now if I can only find a supplier for that bulb.

No comments: