Sunday, November 19, 2006

Giving Thanks

This week I'm going cliche and writing about giving thanks. If you know me personally, you know how difficult that is. But I can't help it. There are lot of things to be thankful for.

Our church said good-bye to Charlie Strickland this weekend. His battle with a series of brain tumors ended Saturday night. Most of us in the church, myself included, had only know Charlie for about three months. But they were three great months.

Charlie entered our lives as a result of getting serious about his faith journey. In fact, he really liked the "journey" terminology. Whenever I talked to him, whether in the hospital or out, he would say, "We're on a journey. But it's a good one." Charlie held no illusions about his prognosis. The closer he got to the end, the more excited I believe he became about his journey. He knew the final destination on his journey would be amazing beyond belief.

What's all this got to do with being thankful? I'm thankful I got to know Charlie. I'm thankful I got to see his enthusiasm about his faith journey. I'm thankful that as his pastor, I can say with assurance where he is tonight.

Of all the things I have for which to be thankful - my wife, my kids, never going hungry or cold, and so on, I am most thankful that I have assurance about the journey I am on. I am thankful that one day my journey will end and Charlie will be one of the folks who will greet me at my final destination. Just a thought.

No comments: