Monday, November 13, 2006

GASP! The Impossible Happened!

It's nice to return from the land of the almost dead. That's how I felt yesterday. I had some kind of bug that mimicked the flu, but without the fever. I had chills most of the day. Ironically, I took some acetaminophen to battle some aches and it created hot flashes. Puzzled, I wondered why since we use it to treat our children's fevers all the time! Anyhow, I spent most of yesterday asleep or otherwise just lying around. Today all my muscles are tight and I can barely move.

My wife was most shocked to see me in that condition. I NEVER get sick. She told others, "He NEVER gets sick!" "That's impossible!" you might say. "You got sick yesterday." True, but I get sick rare enough to be able to say "NEVER" with a clear conscience. The other aspect of this trait of mine is that when I do get sick, it is usually only for a small fraction of the time that everyone else did. The average 24 hour bug will last around 4 hours for me. Which could mean I get sick more than I realize, it's just too short for me to notice. Hmmm. . . that's an interesting theory.

There's been a lot of talk in the media and on the blogosphere lately about the fall of prominent religious leaders. Anytime another one falls, we always dig into the back of the closet and pull out the skeletons of past fallen leaders, raking them over them coals once more. People who call themselves Christians are then forced to take a stand - do they defend the fallen or do they distance themselves? Usually they waffle in the middle with a statement like this - "Christians aren't perfect. Just forgiven." Or "We all sin in some way." People of faith then find it hard to defend their faith to those not also on a faith journey.

Wouldn't it be great if on our faith journeys we NEVER got sick, er, I mean, sinned? Or what if our failings were so small or insignificant that they were virtually unnoticed as such? Before some of you take that proposition too far, that last question is not the same as keeping a long term and continual sexual sin in the closet as has been revealed in the last month. I'm talking about things like stubbing your toe and saying the wrong thing or getting a little more than miffed at the guy who cut you off on the freeway.

I believe that such a possibility exists for our faith journeys. Getting sick or sinning does not have to be normal or acceptable. I want my faith journey to be characterized by as few setbacks as possible. Honestly, I'm not sure it's all that attractive of an option if there isn't such a possibility.

For those of you new to such thinking, this will raise a lot of questions. Questions on a faith journey are good. Questions like what exactly is sin? How do I avoid it? Is sinlessness really a possibility? Is there more to this than just avoiding sin?

I've got thoughts and answers to all the above. I've even got more questions. What about you? What do YOU think?

No comments: