Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Parable of the iPod - Part 2

It's here! And it came a lot sooner than I expected. I went home during my break this morning and my brand new, engraved, ready to change my world iPod had arrived.

An interesting thing has happened since announcing my purchase. I've been getting links from friends about all sorts of things iPod related. Some of them lead me to more expensive technology that looks really cool but too expensive. Others are about the types of things you can do with your iPod. I haven't checked into it yet, but I bet places like CompUSA or Best Buy even have classes on how to use your iPod.

Which got me to thinking. I've got some good friends who are very encouraging on how to get the most out of my iPod. I know there are books out there as well to help me in that same area. How would my faith journey be any different if after having my conversion experience my friends had been as equally encouraging in getting the most out of my relationship with God? Besides the Bible, were there any other books or manuals that could have helped in that area? What about some kind of beginners class?

To my friends defense, they didn't know much more than I did and they certainly had not been shown how to help others. After struggling for a couple of years, I was fortunate enough to be part of a church where there was someone to encourage me and teach me such important lessons. I later learned that this what they call "discipleship." That church and its spiritual leadership are a big reason why I am who I am today.

I hope that anyone who makes such an important decision in their lives finds that type of encouragement and guidance. A new users group so to speak. Nobody likes to go buy a new gadget or device and have no idea how to best use it. Just a thought.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, obviously I am new to the "blogging" community :-)

Here is my comment again, this time under the correct entry.

http://jam.canoe.ca/Music/2006/01/04/1378803-ap.html

Here's another IPod related link for you. Just want you to be aware of the dangers. I imagine a relationship could be drawn here as well. Where as the "over" use of your IPod could have damaging effects, the "under" use of your faith could have the similar.

Of course "your" being a general term. This would pertain to all of us.