Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Group Karaoke

First, I need to apologize. My response to dlucks earlier this week came off as harsh to some who read it. dlucks is a personal friend of mine and we've talked about it, but anybody else out there wondering what my problem is, I just wanted to let you know. I did not intend to say or imply that people should not follow their dreams. Nor was I trying to blame the victim. My real beef is with people who by their apathy or lack of response, although well meaning and in love, allow those they love to head in the wrong direction.

Which is why I have a proposal. American Idol - the Home Version. Every week you get together with your friends and sing away. You can even dress up and pretend to be one of the guys who is really just pulling a stunt so he can get on tv. Laugh it up and have some fun. Somebody can play Simon, Paula, and Randy, except without some of the more bitter comments. The "judges" can offer advice on how to improve your performance for next week.

What I think would be really cool is Faith Journey - The Home Version, also know as Faith Journey - the Multiplayer Version. Every week a group of folks would get together and talk about their journeys. They could talk about the really cool things that have happened. They could share about anything they are really struggling with. And because it's all done in (serious) fun and with a group of folks who really care about you, you can get some advice on how to make your journey better if you need it. You can even hear about some things that you need to change because they might jeopardize your journey.

For me, some aspects of the faith journey are like going to the gym and working out. You get stronger because you struggle with the weights. The good thing about the gym is there are other people there to assist with the struggle so you don't get injured. There are even special machines to help you with the right motions to further prevent injury. It's a safe environment. A faith journey should never be taken alone. It should be done with others, in a safe environment where you can struggle and have the help of others to prevent injury. Of course, the people in your group must be willing to help and not just watch you get injured, just like you shouldn't just watch another yourself.

But you have to be willing to play Faith Journey - the Home Version instead of Faith Journey for 1 player. One of the reasons I can't bench press 250 pounds, besides not working out (smile), is I typically work out alone so I have to stop the struggle short of what it could potentially and beneficially be. I'm glad my faith journey has not been that way. My journey has always been a group activity and I am so much the better for it. Give it a try. Go get your own copy of Faith Journey - the Multiplayer Journey wherever Faith Journey products are sold.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Over the last year and a half, our church has slowly embraced small groups (SG). Those involved in SG are experiencing Faith Journey - the Multiplayer Version. Those that do not participate in SG, however, seem to be using the Faith Journey for 1 Player. Guess who has the more active faith, invites friends, and is involved in ministry?

In my own experience in SG, it takes a while for the group to develop trust where real iron sharpening takes place. That trust takes a while (different lengths of time for different folks). Once it has developed, however, the group thrives. Using the gym analogy, SG members really increase in strength because others are there to "spot" for them, making sure they are stretching themselves, but not getting hurt. I believe that this is what the Christian life is all about.

So, Matt, I've seen and experienced what you're talking about. I also know that I have to have the Faith Journey - the Multiplayer Version, because at times in the past I've used the Faith Journey for 1 Player and gotten weak and puny.

Ginny said...

Matt, Thanks for the encouragement. This is really hard though and not sure how to make it happen. We have recently started a SG focused on local missions. It is a great group of people and we all want that community but not sure how to get there.
Gonny