Thursday, May 07, 2009

Birthday Surprise!

I turned the big 4-0 a few weeks ago.  Life has been so hectic that I haven't had the opportunity to talk about the cool surprises I've received.  The biggest surprise came last Friday.  My wife planned an outing to see the Carolina Mudcats play.  I had no idea where we were going until we got there.  When we arrived at the ball park, we met up with two other families, again a surprise.  They even wished me a happy birthday on the giant screen.

I really love baseball, so this was a cool gift.  What made it really cool was the presence of these two families.  The husbands are two of my best friends, fellow pastors I have known for twenty years.  When I was pastoring, we would meet once a month to support and encourage each other.  Since leaving the pulpit, I've not had the opportunity to hang with these guys.  I was touched they would come because they each had to drive 2 to 2 1/2 hours to get to the ballpark.  One family even broke down on the way home that night.

I was really blessed this birthday to re-experience the value of relationships and community in my faith journey.  What about you?

1 comment:

John said...

what a great 40 bday gift!