Saturday, December 27, 2008

Finding the right path

Several months ago I posted some thoughts about Rooting for the Bad Guy. The only comments that post received focused more on the fictional elements of character development and the spiritual dimension of everyone can find salvation and redemption. There was a deeper sociological thread that I was pointing to in that post that bears revisiting here. My next statement is certainly not original and will come across as a "No Duh!" to many of you. Our world is going to hell in a hand basket.

Perhaps it is better to more specifically state another obvious truth. Our society is becoming increasingly tolerant and accepting of violence. I don't just mean the carnage we see in movies or the unedited news clips. We have moved from being tolerant of violence and all the subcultural elements associated with it to promoting it. In doing some research on gangs for one of my novels in progress, I came across some shocking search results.

We are no longer surprised by the link between street gangs and certain types of music. We are slowly becoming numb to the growing association of certain professional athletes and gang symbols. What disturbs me is how the rest of middle class America is getting in on the action. Apparently it has become the craze for every sub group of people to develop their own "gang signs". I came across webpostings of the gang signs for everything from Unix programmers to self-proclaimed nerds. Social networking sites and online games that are not "violence" oriented even use gangs as a method for organization, somehow trying to sanitize the use of the word. Maybe not the most disturbing but certainly ranking up there was this description of one college student's personal webspace - "You can find cool links, infos about gangs and theirs signs and slang, and much more here." (emphasis mine)

Going back to my post about rooting for the bad guy - Yes, multi-dimensional characters are more exciting and believable. I use them myself. Yes, everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, can find salvation and redemption. BUT, we must look a little more carefully at what appears to merely be multidimensional and what is a symptom of a larger issue. Bad things are bad things, whether they are part of a larger reality or not. Acceptance of these things is not acceptable.

Just as society needs to be careful about how it views, accepts, and passively promotes social mores and behavior, someone on a faith journey and the entire Body of Christ need to be equally mindful of the behavioral and philosophical standards they espouse actively AND passively. What are the things we practice or tolerate that are acceptable to Christ? What are the things that stand in contradiction to being his disciple?

I know I am beginning to sound like some kind of fundamentalist, holy roller, out of touch with the real world religious zealot/bigot. If you know me personally, you know that I have been more often accused of being too worldly instead of the opposite. Speaking from the perspective of someone on a Christian faith journey who desires to encourage others doing the same as well as help some begin their own faith journey, this is a reality that must be addressed.

I find myself struggling as of late with what is meant by phrases like "the narrow way". I'm searching for that middle way that is still path of complete obedience, allegiance, and desire to be like him. It is the path between legalism and full-blown liberalism. I believe the way is narrow and that is does lie between these two extremes.

I don't have a good way to wrap up these thoughts. This more of a on-the-fly posting. It certainly is a bit heavier than the usual fare here. But just as the blog says, it's just a thought.

1 comment:

Pastor Al said...

Greetings Matt,

Several summer's nights ago...I remember stopping my car in a residential area of Goldsboro... listening to the sound of firearms.
It was unmistakeably familiar to an old vet of the Viet Nam era. One good thing of being a veteran is the feeling of leaving behind the dark reality of violence. What I heard truly disappointed me that night. Those shots fired are increasing exponentially, as the seasons pass.

Reminds me of the early development of the Book of Romans and the consequences of moving away from the revelations of God. Sin ultimately brings death...both physical and spiritual, temporal and eternal.

Sounds like you are thinking as both a parent and teacher. Do our children have a future? The Story ends well. But I'm still grasping upon the notion of our civic responsibilities as Christ followers. There has to be effective ways to impact our broader environment.