Monday, December 22, 2008

A Christmas Poem

For the last 24 hours we have been suffering from a stomach bug that for now we are blaming on my niece. In between spurts of energy and other things, I composed this Christmas poem with a special tongue in cheek message. My apologies to Clement C. Moore.

'Twas three days before Christmas and all through the house
Not an adult was stirring, not me nor my spouse
The trash cans were positioned by our places with care
In hopes that when we got sick that they would be there

We were lying about, on the couch and the bed
Because of the turmoil that filled our stomachs with dread
The children did their best to play nice and get along
While our intestines played a not so sweet song

When out of my innards there arose such a clatter
I sprang for the restroom and hoped it wouldn't splatter
Away to the porcelain I flew like a flash
Make up your own line here that ends with the word splash

The moon outside, well, I didn't care
How it shone on the world out there
When to my own wondering mind should appear
That cramps in my stomach would cause a great tear

Two holiday affairs have already been canceled or at least postponed
A third one's in danger so stay by the phone
As we lay immobilized we wished it would pass
We meant the whole sickness and not just the gas

Despite our discomfort and change of plans
It is the season we celebrate the greatest gift to man
A time of Joy, and Hope come down
To fill a manger while giving up a crown

The gifts of love we share with each other
Are symbols of love modeled on another
God became flesh to dwell with us here
And then later died so that death we might not fear

So, no matter where you are or how you might feel
Remember the Christmas story that is very real
Discover Peace and walk in its Light
Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night

No comments: