Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Kissing Up

I heard a cover version of a 60's hit while in a fast food resturant today. The song was It's in His Kiss. The key line in the song is "if you wanna know if he loves you so, it's in his kiss". I pondered the truth in those words while drying my hands. I don't know if you have ever been the recipient of an insincere kiss, but I have. I don't know if you have ever been the giver of an insincere kiss, but I have. What the songwriter says is true - you can tell if somebody loves you by his or her kiss. Everything else can be faked.

U2 sang a song about a kiss too - In the Name of Love. The song talks about Jesus, among others who were also known for their tremondous capacity to love, and it references the incident in the Garden of Gethsemane when Judas identified Jesus for the arresting soldiers by kissing him. After listening to that other song and contemplating its truthfulness, I began thinking about this kiss. Could Jesus tell by the kiss whether Judas really loved him? We already know that Jesus knew what Judas was going to do - he wasn't surprised at all. But, how did the kiss feel?

My thinking naturally moved to all of us and especially me. If I were to give Jesus a kiss today, would he know how much I loved him? Don't freak out as you read this. I don't like the "Jesus is my boyfriend" feeling that much of today's understanding of a faith journey sounds like. You know what I'm getting at. What would my kiss tell Jesus about my love for him? What would your kiss say?

Just a thought.

No comments: