Monday, December 10, 2007

K.I.S.S.

It's time of the year where I ponder the material wealth that I possess. I am not rich by any means, but my family has more stuff than should be legal in the 48 continental United States. This time of year brings about such ponderance because Christmas is around the corner and that means my children get more stuff. Yea! Everyone needs more stuff! (sarcasm implied and intended)

The storage and maintenance of our stockpile of stuff is a constant topic of discussion for the wife and me. Because of everyone's busy schedules, we celebrated Christmas with my side of the family this past weekend. It did not dawn on me until we were leaving the house for the two hour drive to my mom's that I forgot the rent a U-Haul because most assuredly I would need one to get all the new stuff home. Luckily, we crammed it all in the back of the van and did not have to leave anyone behind in order to do so.

Saturday afternoon I spent a few minutes at my grandmother's. As I sat on the couch talking with her, I gazed around her house. Not much has changed in her home in the last 38 years. Some of the furniture has been swapped out. The pictures get rotated each each year as the great-grandchildren get older. Everything is pretty much the same - even the smell (and I love that smell).

I sat there reminiscing of my childhood days spent in the house. I remember the smell of coffee in the morning. I remember the taste of my own weakened cup of java she would make for me in the Yogi bear cup that had to stay at her house. I remember the tastes of the homemade biscuits she would make on Sunday afternoon and how she would always make one for me shaped like a stick man. My favorite sensory experience was always the taste and smell of the fried shrimp she would cook up for us.

As I allowed that flood of memories to sweep over me, I finished my visual survey of her home. I was struck with how simple it was. The house is not big by any means - three small bedrooms, 1100 square feet at best (and she raised five kids in that house, without indoor plumbing for many of those early years). I was amazed most at the lack of clutter, i.e. stuff, filling her home. If my memory serves me well, it's always been that way.

K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple, Stupid. Those of us with too much stuff are probably stupid. I know I feel stupid. We need to be constantly reminded to live life more simply. I know that I wish I could squeeze my family into my grandmother's home and we all be happy about it. The simple life sure does look good.

Thank you Granny for the best gift I received this Christmas.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amen brother! I am so with you! I get overwhelmed by the stuff in our house. I know I'm obessive/compulsive about it sometimes but I just want to get a big trash bag and get rid of stuff. It definitely gets overwhelming especially when more stuff keeps coming in! My plan after Christmas is to go through it all.....maybe then the girls won't miss what I throw out! I just agree that not only with stuff but time.....life is so complicated now. I realize I didn't live in "those days" but I can't help but often wonder how nice it probably was to have lived in those days.