Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Which one is wrong?

For those of you freaked and confused by The Matrix or afraid of anything post-modern, this may not be for you. As I drove to the office this morning, something just didn't feel right. Or look right. I couldn't decide which it was. The temps today are forecasted to be another record-breaking high of 94 degrees (yes that's right - 94!) but the leaves on the trees are all turning beautiful shades of red, yellow, and orange because the days are getting shorter. Which one is right?

I'll admit to being fairly ignorant of the names of all the philosophical schools of thought. I could not tell an existentialist from a Epicurean, though I could tell you what makes them tick after talking to one of them. Today is one of those days that makes you wonder metaphysically what is real - what I see or what I feel? I see fall coming - in the leaves and on the calendar. I feel summer in its prime. Somewhere out there is a school of thought with a name that talks about such questions.

Unlike yesterday's post, this one has a purpose and meaning. Our faith journeys are in many ways directed and interpreted by what makes us tick, by what our perspective on the world around us is. For some, matters of faith and how they serve God are dictated by how they feel. For others, it is determined by what they see. There will be times in life where these two will be stand in stark contrast and lead to very different outcomes. How then does one decide?

What do you do? Which guides you more? How do you choose which way to go? As you ponder these questions, put on a tank top, grab some ice cold lemondae, and go out and enjoy the changing leaves.

No comments: