Monday, March 20, 2006

Revisiting the lawn

Well, it has begun. I put it off as long as I could. I mowed for the first time this year. For the next 5-6 months, this ritual will be conducted once a week. The only bright spot is that in July I will get to switch lawns and begin caring for a different one.

If you've been here before, you know how I feel about yardwork. This past weekend wasn't so bad. After a wonderful warm spell, the weather turned cold, so I didn't even break a sweat. The only bad part was that the entire yard did not really need to be mowed. Yet I still had to "mow" the whole thing in order to get all the patches that did. Within a month, however, I won't have that option. The whole thing will need to be mowed. Then I'll start doing the countdown thing to the last time I have to mow it. Hopefully I won't grow tired of my new lawn before the mowing season ends.

Some things just have to be done - like flossing, showering, mowing, and your various "holy habits". Some are more enjoyable than others. Most of the time, mowing falls at the bottom of the list for me. There are some things that just have to be done when you are on a faith journey. What those things are will differ depending on who you ask. I'm curious what other people think are the things that "have to be done" when you are on a faith journey. Which of those things have you really enjoyed and which ones are a drudgery?

No comments: