Saturday, March 04, 2006

doldrums

When I first set up this blog, it was my intention to post every week, hoping to encourage personal reflection in the readers. I set it up in Feb 2005 and finally, in Jan 2006, got around to posting! Of course, my original intentions may have been arrogant to start with. I assumed that I would have enough things to say to post every week AND that others would actually read. Luckily, I have three brothers and sisters and a handful of good friends. So, at least a handful people actually read it.

Anyway . . . last week I faced Monday morning with dread because, * Gasp * I didn't know what to write. Fortunately for me, an angel came along and brightened my weekend. As I pondered my doom of having to write something for someone to read, I realized how quickly the novelty wears off things. My children, because of the generation into which they have been born, suffer even more because the world has become 3 - 5 minute multimedia bites. Is it any wonder that so many kids are becoming ADD?

I don't know if we can call it fact or not, but things at least SEEM to be more fun when they are brand new. Our cars, our toys, our spouses, our blogs, . . . , even our faith journeys. When I decided that I was going to follow God as a high school senior, the joy from the novelty was tremondous. I read chapter after chapter in my Bible every night. It was even a King James translation and I did not always follow the sentence structure or vocab, but I loved reading it. A couple of months into it and the excitement began to wane. By the fall when I was college freshman, it became something I better do or I would lose my edge. It was just part of the routine.

My relationship with God lost some of its shiny newness and excitement. For the most part, I stayed on the journey heading towards him. There were periods of standing still over the years. One day, I decided to take off, make up for ground lost from those times of standing still, by going as fast as I could in God's direction. I can honestly say that todayI no longer suffer from boredom in my relationship with God. Each day brings a sense of novelty. It's exciting and new.

What about your journey? Is it one of last months toys, thrown into the corner? Have you experienced moments of novelty and wondered how to get them back? Is it ok to expect and want novelty?

What are your thoughts?

No comments: