Sunday, June 07, 2009

Summer Goals

In one week my "summer break" officially begins. I have set the following goals to accomplish before I return to school in two months:
- lose 20 of the 35 pounds I need to lose. Twenty will satisfy my doctor when I go for my annual physical in August. Thirty-five will satisfy me.
- Resume (begin?) running. I'd like to be back up to at least 3 miles a day when I return to work.
- read Twilight and find out what has all my female students so captivated that many of them have read the entire series several times this year alone.
- develop an integrated math and science curriculum for a class that will begin in the 2011-2012 school year.
- develop a men's discipleship curriculum with my pastor that will kick off this fall with at least three small groups.
- develop a better physical conditioning program for my volleyball team before tryouts begin this fall. Also develop a broader set of skill development drills.
- catch up on all the episodes of Heroes I missed this year
- begin watching season 1 of Lost to see what everyone else is so excited about
- finish the first draft of my juvenile fantasy novel. I'd like my boys to be able to read and enjoy it before they outgrow it.
- go fishing AT LEAST once a week.
- come home with a cooler full of trout after our camping vacation in Cherokee, NC
- complete the honey-do list
- do an in-depth study of the book of Hebrews

My first and easiest goal will be accomplished on June 15. I WILL not get out of bed that morning before 10:00 am. The rest of the goals are fairly attainable, but will require lots of discipline. Discipline is a key component in our faith journeys. "Discipline" and "Disciple" have the same root. The Holy Spirit begins, continues, and will complete changes in our lives, but we must also be disciplined in our faithful obedience to God. What goals do you have for your faith journey? What discipline will be required?

2 comments:

Tiffany said...

Good luck with all your goals. Let me know if Twilight is any good because I'm curious what all the fuss is about as well. I watched the first few episodes of the first season of Lost and just couldn't get into it. And I wish we lived closer so you could force me to run with you. I also would love to lose 35 lbs!!

And as far as my faith journey, my goals are to become more involved with our church and to finally meet and get to know some people and to be more disciplined in my daily devotions.

Brandon Barr said...

Good goals.

Have fun writing that novel. I want to do the same thing for my kids...

And I wish I could go fishing once a week.