Sunday, February 01, 2009

Dual Citizenship & Dissociative Identity

As our country undergoes a major transition politically and economically, I find myself spending a lot of mental energy processing my views historically while at the same time trying to predict the trajectory they are currently following.  What are my beliefs as follower of Christ living in 21st Century America?

Obama's election to our nation's highest office has been an interesting event for American Evangelicals.  Putting it simplistically, Evangelicals normally swing Republican because of "moral issues."  However, many younger Evangelicals have proudly supported Obama because it was a vote to reclaim the forgotten social action heritage of many Evangelicals.  If we are all honest, we would state that NO political party has the market cornered on what it is right.  If you are an optimist, then you pick the candidate or party that has the most right things from your perspective.  If you see the glass half empty, then you pick the lesser of two evils.

Without going into too much political and economic analysis, neither of which I am qualified offer, I struggle with how our nation's leaders are addressing the current economic crisis.  I do not agree with all the government bailouts or huge stimulus bills that really won't do anything for the economy.  They will all inevitably lead us into more dire times.  Where's the money the government's throwing around going to come from?  It's going to come from us, the taxpayers.

Another part of my struggle relates to how do I really feel about capitalism.  At the risk of sounding harsh and uncaring, if a company begins to fail because of poor management, inferior products, or anything else, then let it go.  I think in the long run, everything will right itself and all parties will be better off.  The real issue I'm struuggling with is the concept of creating wealth.  
Can wealth really be created?  For what purpose?  Is it right for a follower of Jesus to make money for the sake of making money and keeping it to themselves?  I think everyone will say"No" to that one, yet isn't that we're advocating?

All these thoughts are in their infancy.  And for them all, I find myself in my idealism faced with an impossible decision.  I cannot align myself even half way with the political and economic choices in front of me.  I guess that why we have Anabaptist groups, Amish, and Mennonites.  How does one live as a citizen of the Kingdom of God and one of the earthly kingdoms too?  Even more specifically, CAN one live as a citizen of both or is a split personality the only possibility?

No comments: