Thursday, November 20, 2008

A New Name

While searching for a fun activity to do with my students as a reward for their hard work during the first grading period, I came across a site that will figure out your Jedi Name. Here's mine.

Cast off your old name! Your Jedi name is

GUTMA FOHAR of the planet lexapro!

Find your Jedi Name!


Click the link in the above box to find your own.

New names are really important. Many women still choose the traditional custom of taking the husband's name when they are married, and they are very excited about doing so. For some people, their name may not change, but their title might. They might become "Dr. So & So", "Vice President of Marketing" or "Shift Manager". An increase in rank is not always the desired change either. I have a friend whose title changed from "Managing Director of North America" within his firm to "Director of Tools and Practices". It was not a decrease in pay or position, but it did remove all people management out of his responsibilities. This was a welcomed change for him.

When you begin your faith journey with Christ, you get a name change and a new identity. You become one of God's children and we are called by his name. We even become new people with a new internal make up. It's not always easy and it does come with responsibility. But it's worth it. That's the exciting part of the journey. You ARE different. You are continually being improved and kept different. The problems come when we forget who we are and try to live under the old name the way the old person did.

So my thoughts tonight are not anything profoundly deep, just a weak connection to something silly I found on the web. Nonetheless, I'm glad I have a new name and that I'm a new man.

1 comment:

Pastor Al said...

Greetings Matt,
I'm crawling out from under the rug! Chose to take a sabatical for the holidays from IWU to enjoy the holidays. Took a trip to FLAME with some Amigos. Please see todays post.

They misspelled my name at IWU and called me Ai...which has stuck for my online persona. Hear they miss Ai this semester...kind of quiet without me. Ai is louder than Al ever thought of being.

New names open new vistas. I don't know why...do you? Hang in there with me my friend.

Happy Thanksgiving!