Thursday, August 07, 2008

I want one of those!

I've been away from my blog for a while 'cause I've been working a real job as well as filling in an empty pulpit for a while. For those of you who have really missed my weekly updates, I'm sorry your life has deteriorated to that. Anyhow, I saw the coolest thing I've seen in a long time today and I want one! A coworker was showing off her iPhone today. She then admitted to being a Star Wars geek, which proves that I only hang out with good people. After her confession, she showed me her phone saber. The video that the link takes you to does not do justice to how absolutely kewl that app is. I was very impressed with the realistic sounds the app produced. If I had closed my eyes, I would have sworn that Obi Wan was battling the forces of evil in the room there with me.

The iPhone has been out for a while. It's a neat little gadget and I would love to have one. Two things keep me from buying one - the price and it's only compatible with one wireless carrier, one I am not subscribed to. I figure I already have an iPod and a phone and I really don't need a lot of the cool features an iPhone boasts. That is until today. After seeing the phone saber, I surfed the internet for almost 45 minutes, researching prices on iPhones and I also began seriously contemplating switching my wireless carrier just so I could own a phone saber. I came home and excitedly told my family about it.

I was almost converted. When the day was done, I did not buy an iPhone nor did I switch carriers. I probably won't anytime soon. I did think a lot about how my desires and opinions were almost changed by a simple app on a little techno gadget. I thought about the night I decided to change my desires and opinions and desires on how I would live my life. That was the night I decided to follow Jesus on my faith journey. A lot of little things built up, mainly watching the lives of my friends around me, that led me to my "Christian conversion".

Most of us think we need to develop winning debates and convincing arguments so that we sway people into making such conversions on their own. For me, and for many others I talk to, it was something about just how cool other people's lives were compared to their own that led them to "convert". I don't own a phone saber (yet), but I have THE kewlest app ever developed in my heart. That's one I don't want to fail to share with everyone around me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey there, thanks for the link to the iPhone App Podcast!!