Saturday, June 09, 2007

Not Alone part 2

A friend of mine who knows I'm preparing to run a half marathon is working hard to make sure I'm prepared. He's the only person who asks me regularly how my running is going. He keeps volunteering to run with me because he plans to run as well. Problem is this guy is like a machine. He works out all the time. He lies down on the floor while the kids from church all jump up and down on his stomach and he never flinches. He even offered to run at my pace. When he told me what his "slow days" were, I 'bout had a heart attack. If I want to survive to run in November, I need to get in better shape before running with this guy.

Running is one of those things I've always done alone, except when I coached high school cross country. Then I would run with my team. Most of them had no idea how hard I struggled to keep up with the best. Luckily I had the excuse of having to hold back to keep the rear half moving. I really do want to run with my friend because I know that I will get in shape a lot faster with him pushing me. I just worry about surviving the pushing!

My faith journey has always benefitted when I "ran" with someone who was much better than I. I could watch their lives and see how they handle things. I could learn to "do" things like them. I can look back and see how I grew.

There have been times where someone wanted to "run" with me so they could grow in their faithi journeys. It was an honor and privilege to be part of their spiritual growth. I had to be careful not to push them too hard beyond what they were capable of. That is not always easy to determine as a coach. Many times those of us with more experience forget that we had to work ourselves into spiritual shape.

How is your running going? Who do you need to begin training with, either for your benefit or theirs? Just a thought.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I pondered your question:

"How is your running going? Who do you need to begin training with, either for your benefit or theirs? Just a thought."

I asume that you mean that same race that Paul talks about in his letters to the churches. The truth of the matter is that in order to run this race you need a "servant leader". This leader communicates a clear vision and leads with a clear example on how to obtain this prize. However, all too often leaders take the "self-serving" route. These 2 leadership types center on 2 types of EGO: the ideal is to "Exalt God Only" instead of the other which is to "Edge God Out".

Your friend is willing to help you become a better runner, but how are you going to help him? In other words, what ways are you helping him or anyone else with their spiritual growth? This is not a challenge I would really like to know in plain and simple terms.

Matt Guthrie said...

Well I hope that as his pastor (and a bunch of other people as well) that I am helping his faith journey. Beyond the standard vocational duties of the office (sermons, Sunday School lessons, creating discipleship programs, etc.) the example of my life is helping his growth. Just as he is a better runner, has better technique, etc. that I can emulate, my daily decision making, the ways our family does things, and what not can serve as examples. If we were running together and I wanted to slow down or give, he would be quick to pull a drill sergeant on me and keep me going. Likewise, if I see his spiritual life waning I can come in and provide loving correction and direction to get him back on track.

I appreciate your comments on servant leadership. It's becoming one of the buzz words, even in the corporate world. But the Church had it first and we need to make sure we live it and train those who will one day lead to live it.