Wednesday, December 13, 2006

slowing down

Life happened this weekend, so it kept me from posting on Monday. Today, I've got so many things floating thru my mind that I dug into the archives of some unposted thoughts, looking for something I could post. Here's an unposted and edited thought from a couple months ago that seems appropriate right now.

I'm noticed something about myself lately. I'm slowing down more often. Not just when I'm unwinding, but in general. On the road between home and the office, the speed limit is 55 mph. But I regularly only drive about 45, rarely ever above 50. It becomes really obvious when the cars begin to line up behind me, right on my bumper, edging across the yellow line and looking for a chance to pass me. Luckily it's only four miles because the folks behind me are not all equally patient.

My taste in music seems to be changing. I still enjoy rock & roll with hard driving guitars, urban contemporary with a good bass line, and the occassional feel good pop song. I find myself gravitating towards things a little softer and more on the "easy listening" side. When I do get a chance to sample the latest rock, pop, or R&B, I found myself struggling to make out some of the lyrics. Maybe it's the ear-piercing volume at which I used to enjoy my music that now makes it difficult to hear the lyrics properly. I recently read where someone is marketing higher pitch ringtones to teens because adult ears do not hear them as well.

As I made my 47 mph drive home while listening to the soft easy rhythms of my music, I had a horrifying thought. "I"m getting OLD!!!" I don't mind the benefits of age like increased wisdom. I have even welcomed my gray hair because people tend to take to you more seriously with a little gray. I just don't want to become one of those people I always made fun of.

But I do want to slow down. In fact, my family already has several important changes planned for 2007 to assist in that. And I fully expect them to work. We're looking forward to more time together and a recapturing of the higher ideals we have for our family.

Other parts of my life I want to speed up - like the growth of my IRA's. ;-) Or the good fruit from the things I do. I look at the faith journeys of those around me and for those whose lives in which I have some influence, I look forward to seeing some parts of their journeys speeding up. Well, maybe not speeding up, just moving along at a good pace. I know that if I slow down and really evaluate what's important, I will see others speed up because of how it changes our interactions together. I'm sure I will focus more on what's really important in our relationships. I'm sure it will increase the amount of grace that operates between us. That sounds like a good thing.

I guess life in the slow lane isn't so bad. Just a thought.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just make sure that when you are going 45 in a 55, that you sit up straight and not slump. Someone might mistake you for a "little old lady" as they wiz past you.

James