Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Changing my reality?

Well, I've been very disappointed with my reality lately. At least my reality tv. First, Chris Daughtry got voted off American Idol and Taylor Hicks won. Then, Terry Dietz did not win Survivor. IMHO, these guys were the best and should have won.

My "real" reality hasn't been all that great lately either. I was struck by an extended period of introspection while watching the Survivor finale a few weeks back. Everybody who has ever been on that show talks about how they have been changed forever. They will never take things for granted again. They will really appreciate life.

I listened to all these comments and wondered if I would say the same things and if I would really stick to it. I thought about it in the context of my family. I would LOVE to give Survivor a try, but honestly, 40 days away from my family is not appealing to me, especially since there are at least 15 other people who could win the $1 million. If I came home empty-handed in that way, I would be extremely disappointed.

So as I listened, I thought to myself, why do I have to wait until I've been stranded away from civilization for over a month to change my life? Why don't I enjoy life more now? Why don't I focus all the energy on my family like I would like now? Why isn't permanent change possible (if it's possible) without going thru such a crisis?

My life is definitely too busy. I've not posted in almost a month because of it. Four years ago I was crippled emotionally because of job-related stress and burnout. It took several months to recover. I never want to go back there again. About three weeks ago, I recognized the signs of the same thing coming around the corner pretty soon unless I did something about it right then. I took a day off for the first time in months. I knew I needed to change my sleeping, eating, and exercise habits. They haven't. Life just got busier. So whatdya do?

Yes, I typically make spiritual applications to our faith journeys in all my posts. And there certainly are plenty to make with this one. But I'll leave that up to you. Right now I'm going to try to survive my reality so I can hopefully change some of it after the storm has passed.

No comments: